Chris Peterson has established himself as a notable, up-and-coming trial lawyer and civil litigation attorney in southern California, with a focus on representing private property and business owners in Eminent Domain cases; as well as in novel and complex areas of California law and in unique business settings. He is regarded as direct and straightforward, a charismatic public speaker, and a tireless problem solver. Chris has been nominated for various awards and recognitions, including the American Bar Association’s “On the Rise Top 40 Young Lawyers,” a national recognition.
Chris draws on the experience and skills he developed as a Division 1 college football player and Division 1 college football coach and recruiter for six years prior to law school; as well as the skills he acquired in earning his Master’s degree in Education with a focus on curriculum and instruction.
Notable Cases (Partial List)
State v. S.I. (Eminent Domain, Jury Trial)
Initial offer to purchase the real estate was $1,580,000. The Jury awarded Peterson’s client $2,980,000 for the real estate, which came within 7% of Peterson’s trial appraisal. The case included claims for loss of business goodwill and fixtures & equipment. This case involved a full fee real property acquisition and displacement of a fast-food restaurant in Los Angeles County.
City v. J.C. (Eminent Domain, Jury Trial)
Initial offer to purchase the real estate was $485,000. The Jury awarded Peterson’s client $670,000 for the real estate. In addition, Peterson negotiated a $56,000 settlement prior to trial for loss of business goodwill. The case involved a full fee acquisition of a commercial property and the displacement of two businesses in Orange County.
State v. B.N. (Eminent Domain, settlement prior to Trial)
Initial offer to purchase part of the real estate was $575,308. After mediation and prior to trial, Peterson negotiated a settlement for $1,600,000. The case involved the bisection of a producing almond farm in Kern County for the High Speed Rail Project.
I have served full time as a Special Master and mediator in complex, construction related multi‐party disputes for 25 years. My practice takes me regularly throughout the Western United States. During that time literally thousands of lawyers, experts, parties and claims personnel have appeared before me. I can say without reservation that Chris Peterson is at the very top of the young lawyers to come before me over these many years. He is sophisticated and seasoned way beyond his years. Always totally prepared, well spoken, creative, resourceful, excellent on his feet, calm, effective, a clear thinker who is patient along with very good judgment. Overall a very, very impressive young lawyer who in my opinion is destined for greatness in the legal profession.”
- Ross Hart, Mediator & Arbitrator, Los Angeles
Our family appreciates what an amazing resource you are and the job you did for us. You are the best of the best! You and John quickly became trusted advisors above and beyond the eminent domain case. I can’t say enough about Peterson Law Group and respect you as much as any company I have ever worked with.”
- J.H., Client, San Bernardino County
Chris helped turn a stressful case into a great result. He was very professional and knowledgeable about all the complex details of the law and my case, and he fought hard for me. I would recommend Chris to anyone.”
- I.K., Client, Los Angeles
The state’s eminent domain case cut my farm into two separate pieces. At first it was very intimidating for me and my family, but I felt like Mr. Chris was protecting us the whole time. He explained complicated things by using examples that we could understand. He was honest and straightforward.”
- B.N., Client, San Joaquin Valley
- Eminent Domain (state and federal)
- Inverse Condemnation
- Landslides & Debris Flows
- Dangerous Conditions on Public Property (personal injury)
- Government Tort Liability (personal injury and property damage)
- General Business consulting, transactions, and litigation
- Complex Land Use litigation and transactions
- Trial and Voir Dire consulting
- General Civil Litigation and Jury Trials
- Featured speaker & faculty: CLE International’s 2022 Eminent Domain Conference. Topic: An Eminent Domain Trial, from Voir Dire to Post-judgment. (San Diego, March 2022).
- Featured speaker: International Right of Way Association (IRWA) Chapters 11 & 67. Topic: Eminent Domain and the 2028 LA Olympics. (Virtual, August 2021).
- Featured speaker: Orange County Bar Association’s Real Estate section. Topic: An Overview of California Eminent Domain. (Virtual, July 2021).
- Featured speaker & faculty: CLE International’s 2021 Eminent Domain Conference. Topic: Navigating Project Changes in Eminent Domain. (Virtual, February 2021).
- Guest speaker: International Right of Way Association (IRWA) Chapter 67’s September Virtual Luncheon. Topic: Value Buildings if they’re not being taken? A complicated valuation problem. (Virtual, September 2020).
- Featured panel speaker & faculty: CLE International’s 2020 Eminent Domain Conference. Topic: Value Buildings if they’re not being taken? A complicated valuation problem. (San Diego, March 2020).
- Featured panel speaker: The Appraisal Institute’s Annual Seminar. Topic: Highest and Best Use & Project Influence Analysis in Eminent Domain. (Santa Anita, 2018).
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles: Juris Doctor (May 2014).
- University of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho: Master of Education, Curriculum and Instruction (May 2007).
- Cal Poly State Univ., San Luis Obispo: Bachelor of Arts, Speech Communication (June 2004).
- “Expert Insight – Suing and litigating against the government.” Lawyer Monthly Magazine, October ed. 2020.
- “Value buildings if they’re not being taken? Shedding light on complicated valuations.” International Right of Way Association Magazine (IRWA), July/August ed. 2019.
- State of California (December 2014)
- California U.S. District Courts (Federal): Central, Eastern and Southern Districts (2015)
- American Bar Association
- Orange County (CA) Bar Association
- Executive Committee, Orange County Bar Association – Real Estate section
- Los Angeles County (CA) Bar Association